Derbes Falgoust Commercial Real Estate
Occupancy Permit Instructions | City of Baton Rouge & Parish of East Baton Rouge
OCCUPANCY PERMIT INSTRUCTIONS
CITY OF BATON ROUGE & PARISH OF EAST BATON ROUGE
The Department of Public Works (DPW) of the City of Baton Rouge and Parish of East Baton Rouge requires an occupancy permit to be issued to an owner or tenant prior to the building/suite being occupied. The occupancy permit approval process must be completely approved prior to Entergy or DEMCO being authorized by DPW to activate the utilities to the building or suite.
The following steps are involved with the DPW’s issuance of the occupancy permit. DPW preference is to apply online. However, you may visit DPW in person and apply at the DPW office located at 300 North 10th Street, Baton Rouge. The phone number is 225-389-3226.
- Go to the website, www.mypermitnow.org
- Click the tab, Permits & Licensing.
- Create a New Account.
- Complete the application process to obtain an OCCUPANCY PERMIT.
- Set up the appointment and make payment.
- Water needs to be ACTIVE (on) at the time of the inspection. Set up an account with Baton Rouge Water Works in advance of the inspection if water is not ON.
- The following questions are required on the application:
- Type of business.
- The square footage of the area to be occupied.
- Complete address of the area to be occupied, suite # or letter if applicable.
- At times, a copy of the lease (for ENTERGY).
- Business Owner’s name and Business Name.
- Upon completed application appointment, DPW and the Fire Marsall will inspect the premises. The front door must be unlocked from 7:30AM through approximately 4:30PM on the inspection day/date.
- The area to be inspected must have current/updated fire extinguishers.
ACTIVATION OF ELECTIRICTY AND GAS (if appliable)
Simultaneous application with either ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) or DEMCO (225-261-2440) or 1-800-222-2914 from 8:00AM - 4:40PM, M-F, whichever is applicable (look at the meter connection to determine which utility company) to initiate the credit application for service. The typical deposit is twice the average monthly consumption as determined either by previous occupants or by SF estimation.